- Identity Presentation (PowerPoint download)
- Diversity Presentation (PowerPoint download)
- Annex 1 Identity Cards questions (Word document download)
- Annex 2 Identity Cards pictures (Word document download)
- Annex 3 Identity Circles (Word document download)
- Annex 4 Orange Advert Transcript – Poem (Word document download)
- Annex 5 Diversity Factor – Body outline (Word document download)
Unite Ambassadors Training Session 2 Plan – Identity and diversity
By the end of this session participants will:
- Understand that identities are made up of different characteristics and values and that they develop over time.
- Be aware that our identities have many things in common, but differences too. This leads to diversity.
- Be able to describe their own individual identity.
- Be aware of the benefits of diversity.
|2.5||Part 1 - Identity|
|'It is important to know myself before I can be tolerant of others who are different to me.'|
Review session outcomes.
|Identity Presentation - Slides 2-3
|5||Icebreaker (suggestion)||Give yourself a nickname which is your favourite colour and your favourite animal e.g. purple dolphin|
|5||Who am I?||How have I changed since I was a baby? Discuss||Identity Presentation Slides 4-6|
|20||'ME' Exercise||Identify some of the things that make me ‘me’ right now|
Use identity questions or cards to generate discussion in groups
Individuals to complete Identity Circles diagram.
|Identity Presentation Slide 7
Identity questions/cards made up for each group
(See Annex 1 Identity Cards Questions and Annex 2 Identity Cards)
Identity Circles – enough for each participant
(see Annex 3 Identity Circles)
Sample outcomes are available via the following link
|15||Who has influenced me?||Understand that we get values, opinions and experiences from people we meet. Watch Orange advert and discuss|
Write a poem 'I am…'
|Identity Presentation Slide 8
Poem/transcript provided as Annex 4 Orange Adverts Transcript (also in Mentor Guidance)
|5||Find someone who…||Consolidate ideas of self and people like me…||Identity Presentation Slides 9-10|
|Part Two - Diversity||Reference - Diversity presentation taken from
|5||Introduction - It’s good to be different||Choice and diversity make things more interesting |
Cultural diversity makes society more interesting
|Diversity Presentation Slides 2-4|
|10||It’s OK to have different views!||Group yourself according to if you agree or disagree with the following statements:|
A - Dogs are better than cats.
B - Eating meat is wrong.
C- There is probably intelligent life elsewhere in the Universe.
D - Democracy isn't always the best form of government.
E - There are times when it might not be wrong to steal.
(The 5 questions should be adapted to match topical and cultural interests)
|Diversity Presentation Slides 5-6
Question cards made up using example questions labelled A-E
|15||How can we embrace diversity?||Diversity Factor activity – design a diverse pop group||Diversity Presentation Slides 7-8
Person outlines as provided in Annex 5 could be used.
|5||Conclusions||Summary||Diversity Presentation Slides 9-10|